Monday, September 10, 2012

You Picked the Right One, Baby!

How sweet it is to be a Kappa Delta!!!! <3

You picked the right one, baby! KD

Recruitment, recruitment, recruitment! I am so excited for our little Beta Lambdas to join us on Bid Day, which is less than two weeks away on September 23rd!

Going through recruitment this year on the other side is going to be really exciting. While talking for nine hours sounds really difficult, if it's anything like last year BEING recruited, it'll be a breeze. When I get nervous I tend to resort to circumlocution, so hopefully my reiterations of love for Kappa Delta and everything we stand for will shine through. 

Do you remember walking into the KD party during boards round? For me, it was an instantaneous connection. From my first breath upon entering, I could already feel Kappa Delta running through my veins. I didn't dare express my desperation to be apart of the beautiful sisterhood in front of me, though by the time I had exited the party, I knew I was going to be a KD. I wasn't closed minded about the sororities whose parties I had yet to visit, in fact, I ended up "preffing" the last sorority I visited on boards round! KD just felt like home to me. There was no denying that simple feeling that I 'belonged'.

Many a time during the process, I was asked the following question: "why do you want to join a sorority?" In fact, I'm still asked a derivative form of that question on a regular basis (mostly from the people I work with, as the large majority of them are not involved in Greek life). At first I thought the answer was simple: my family members involved in Greek life have always expressed and emphasized the greatness of Greek life and all of its associated aspects, but mainly, I want to meet people and get involved on campus. However, my response has changed over time, particularly under the influence of Kappa Delta's values: "I want to change lives, grow as a person, and develop friendships that I will treasure for a lifetime." Often times, this answer (or ones similar in nature) warrant more questions whose answers cannot be fully understood by those who are not involved in a Greek organization.

While I may have initially understood my own reasons for entering Greek life, what about the girls who aren't so sure if it's for them? While I contemplated NOT going through recruitment, I eventually stumbled upon these websites called Recruitment Prep and The Sorority Life (NPC-affiliated and tailored especially to PNMs), which helped in assisting me to make my decision. They are truly wonderful tools for PNMs to evaluate the validity of own reasons for going through sorority recruitment, because, sure, while wearing cute letters may draw some girls into the recruitment process, it's vital to understand how much more is involved in sorority membership in order to make the decision to enter Greek life, and also to decide which organization is the best fit for them personally. I'm glad I found my perfect fit!

Love in AOT Y'all!
6 days til recruitment!
<3


Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment